Friday, June 24, 2005

Check-ins

Check-in (Drabbles)
Rating: PG 13 for Language
Summary: Bruce has some concerns.

Check-in 1

“Lex.” Bruce complained, “What the hell is going on with this kid?”

“What’s wrong with Clark?”

“He’s a fucking, pathological liar. That’s what’s wrong.”

“Oh.”

“Oh?... That’s all you have to say? Just fucking ‘Oh’?”

“Bruce, calm down.”

“You are half way to Arkham if you think I’m going to let someone I can’t trust stay in the mansion.”

“Bruce, if someone asked you how you spent your weekend, what would you tell them?

“That’s differ… you’re not serious.”

“Well, let’s just say that my two best friends have told me exactly the same lies for exactly the same reasons.”

***

Check-in 2

“Lex, this isn’t going to work.”

“Why, is he acting up?” Lex knew it was unlikely, but suspected that the shock of going into exile could tax even Clark’s boy-scout demeanor.

Bruce’s derisive chuckle belied that thought: “No, he’s a regular boyscout on that front- up before Alfred and never to bed before me.

“Then, what’s going on?”

“Lex, he can’t lie… at all.”

“That’s not what you said last week.”

“Oh, I didn’t say he doesn’t try, but he can’t lie convincingly.”

“I know.”
“You knew?”

“I was hoping you’d have better luck teaching him how than I did.”

***
Check-in 3

“Bruce, how are things?”

“He still can’t lie, but at this rate he could clep out of an MBA program in a year.”

“MBA?”

“Yeah, every second he’s not working with me, or Alfred… he’s reading something about business. Last week, I had Alfred bring down my old text books.”

“Don’t encourage that Bruce… the timing is a little odd.”

“Why…You can’t think that he’s planning to go after your father on his own turf?”

“I’ve known him for three years; and he’s never asked a single question about business, but add a little self-righteous anger, and ….”

“Shit.”

“Exactly.”

***
Check in 4

“Bruce, what’s going on? It’s been two weeks.”

“Oh, things were a little busy here. On the upside, his lying is improving: he still can’t fool me, but he convinced Alfred to make us a second breakfast when he’d already cooked the first.”

“And?”

“He ate it.”

“No, I mean what else has been going on?”

“Oh.”

“That’s all, Oh?”

“You were right… about taking on the old man.”

“Damn it.”

“He showed me his plan.”

“And?”

“It’s a good plan.”

Lex hoped Bruce wasn’t serious, but knew better than to underestimate the extent of his two friends’ martyr complexes.

***
Check in 5

“Master Lex?”

“Good afternoon, Alfred. Is everything alright?”

“Yes, Sir. I was simply calling at the young master’s request to schedule a luncheon. Master Bruce has been heavily engaged of late with a mutual business associate, and would appreciate your intervention.”

“And how is the ‘young master’?”

“Pensive, of late, I regret to say, Sir.”

“Pensive?” Lex was tempted to have lunch at the mansion, if only for the chance to see Clark, but knew it was risky. His father still suspected that he was involved in Clark’s disappearance.

“Alright Alfred, let me look at my schedule.”

“Very good, Sir.”

9 Comments:

Anonymous Pirates Sparrow & Turner said...

Very, very interesting and quite funny in places! Can't wait for your next installment!!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Graysong said...

Very nice! But I didn't see them posted at the SSA, even tho the next installment says "sequel to...". I had to search for your URL to get here ... glad I did, I cracked up at Clark convincing Alfred to make 2nd breakfast. *g*

9:58 AM  
Blogger Barbie said...

This is really cool! I like the voice you use for Bruce. Its right on target. The breakfast conversation was cute. Can't wait for more.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Barbie said...

This is really cool! I like the voice you use for Bruce. Its right on target. The breakfast conversation was cute. Can't wait for more.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Quynce said...

I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to come out of the shadows and say how much I like this series. I usually get material from SSA, and like graysong, I'm glad I sought this part of the story out. I hope more is coming soon.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Pirates Sparrow & Turner,

Thanks for your interest, I'm glad you're enjoying it. If you're interested in following a link to my livejournal.com, you'll be able to find the my most-recent updates in this series. I will still be posting them to this site; however, due to the differences in posting methods and linking, I find livejournal just bit more user friendly for daily posting.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Graysong,

I would love to post these on the SSA, but have been informed by one of the archivists that my recent updates were chapters not sequels and were therefore not SSA material. When I have them combined into a full fledged sequal, I'll post this version to the SSA. Thanks for your interest.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Barbie,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I think I've finally found the key to getting Bruce's voice -- no coffee and a very late night. I enjoyed "the breakfast conversation" to and thought that it was probably the most likely area that he would be able to fudge convincingly... if only to Alfred, who would likely be half convinced by Clark's everpresent appetite.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Quynce,

I'm proud that my series of Emergencies has drawn you out of the shadows. ;-<>

I've already added 4 new updates, which you can find on my livejournal. To date, the series includes, in order: For Emergencies only, Check-ins, 911, First Responders, Ground Zero, and Evac.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home